CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2015

From:
"Lathrop, Kira L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2015 13:21:46 +0000

Dear Andre,
We have the same microscope and the problem may be tied to the stage motion, shutter speed and computer speed.  We ran into a similar thing, and fixed it by programming a slight delay to allow the shutter to (reliably) open fully before beginning acquisition in the new position or by adding another channel (black or brightfield) before your fluorescent channel.
Kira
___________________
Kira L. Lathrop, MAMS
Assistant Professor
Co-Director, OVSRC Imaging Module
University of Pittsburgh
School of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology
Swanson School of Engineering, Department of Bioengineering
203 Lothrop Street Room 1030
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
412.647.3492

related to confocal microscopy. Based upon the huge expertise on this =
list however, I hope that someone may have stumbled upon a similar =
problem or at least has some suggestions for the cause of the problem.
>>=20
>> Currently we are trying to do widefield imaging of endogenous =
fluorophores (NADH, FAD). For this, we use a 365/50nm excitation filter =
and a 480/30nm emission bandpass.
>>=20
>> When we try to do multiposition imaging (automated stage from Prior =
Scientific controlled by an old Optiscan controller) we observe a =
strange sinus-like modulation in the signal (ONLY with the mentioned UV =
excitation filterset) that has an amplitude of approximately 10-15% of =
the initial signal. Cycle time for the sinusoidal artifact is =
approximately 10-15min. This artifact ONLY appears, when the stage is =
actually in use (single-position imaging yields a stable signal). The =
whole setup is driven by the most recent Micromanager release which is =
(accept for the observed perturbation) working just fine.
>>=20
>> So far, I can exclude an optical problem (imprecise repositioning of =
the stage and similar) - placing one of those fluorescent chroma-slides =
directly on the objective and repeating the experiments yields the very =
same results (sinusoidal artifact that vanishes when the stage is not in =
use). So far I have tried to attach grounding cables to virtually every =
piece of equipment including the mercury lamp and the camera (without =
any success in getting rid of this artifact).
>>=20
>> Relevant equipment is a Nikon Ti-E with PFS (does not make a =
difference, whether it is in the lightpath or not), an Hamamatsu Orca =
ER-G CCD camera (exposure times are all in the range from 200-400ms) and =
a standard Nikon HBO with an Osram HBO103w/2 (tried changing it against =
the equivalent lamp from a Zeiss Axiovert200m without any changes).
>>=20
>> Does anyone have any idea on how to tackle the problem? We are =
currently running out of ideas.