CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Evangelos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:26:29 -0400
      Femto is not always necessarily better.   You can safely use more
average power with picosecond compared to femtosecond to go deep into
brain or muscle tissue.  I have found that picosecond is /sometimes/
better than femtosecond, even for SHG.  Femtosecond will give more
initial signal but picosecond signal will stay constant, longer, at the
same power, in tissue.  Also, for our confocal core's speciality: CARS
microscopy, picosecond is far superior in that it matches the
vibrational linewidths and doesn't dump a lot of energy in a broad
spectral region like femtosecond pulses.  Dispersion is far less of a
problem with pico and not as much need to pre-comp, but I do believe for
THG, and if you have very weak 2-photon signal you would have to used
pre-chirped compressed femtosecond pulses, with SHG on collagen,
2-photon with more average power, and CARS you're ok with pico,
otherwise you need femto.

Best,
Evangelos

Advanced Biological Imaging Scientist