CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2010

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:39:04 -0400
Hi Mike and list,

Putting the beads on the coverglass is a good
start, but #1.5 is way too high a tolerance range
for best performing fluorescence microscopes and
nanoscopes. How about switching to the Zeiss 170
um coverglasses or equivalent. $40 for pack of 1,000 pieces, 18x18 mm.

I also encourage mattek
(www.glassbottomdishes.com) and everyone else to switch to 170 um coverglasses.

I also have a negative recommendation with
respect to Lab-Tek chamber slides. I had a
confocal user Friday who had their cells on a
Lab-Tek chamber slides with (unknown thickness)
coverglass applied by the user. While I like the
convenience of the blue ink ridges for finding
the focus, the Lab-Tek slides ridge thickness is
a significant gap between the objective lens and
cells. I also have no idea what kind of
coverglass thickness the user had or their
mounting medium. I also suspect they had left the
slides in a refrigerator, and managed to get
water condensation mixed with immersion oil on
imaging. What I can say is that their image
quality was mediocre, even after cleaned the oil
off the lens and coverglass and reapplied fresh
oil. The Lab-Tek slides also have the wonderful
property of warping during focusing - making it a
waste of time to try to do Z-series.

Sincerely,

George

At 05:31 PM 3/26/2010, you wrote:
>Dear Listservors,
>
>Thank you all very much for your contributions to this discussion.
>
>We have always used #1.5 coverslips(which range
>from 160 to 190 microns).  All biological
>objectives (except those with correction
>collars) are designed for these. Going to #1
>coverslips would only narrow things by 30
>microns at best and defeat the optical correction factor.
>
>We continue to encourage do-it-yourselfers (DYI)
>slides as others have mentioned, and include
>protocols to do this.  We are very generous in
>the quantities of beads shipped - you can make
>dozens to hundreds of slides from one vial.
>However we developed the multiple bead slides as
>a cost savings to the customer needing more than
>one bead type.  Buying 10 bead preps is 2-5x
>what one of the prepared slides will cost.
>
>Unfortunately, the prepared slides are a quite a
>challenges to make in quantity.  We have strict
>QC standards - our scrap rate and thus costs are
>high.  We haven't implemented a QC step with oil
>objectives because of the damage to the slide
>that would entail.  As mentioned in an earlier
>post we are addressing this going forward (first up mounting on coverslips).
>
>We will refund anyone that is unable to see
>their beads on our slides of course.  Just call
>our Tech Support for a credit or replacement, at
>800-955-6288, then selection 2, then selection 4 to request this.
>
>Regards,
>
>Mike Ignatius
>
>Molecular Probes/Lifetechnologies

George McNamara, Ph.D.
Image Core Manager
Analytical Imaging Core Facility
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Miami, FL 33136
305-243-8436 office
http://www.sylvester.org/AICF (Analytical Imaging Core Facility)
http://www.sylvester.org/AICF/pubspectra.zip (the
entire 2000+ spectra .xlsx file is in the zip file)
http://home.earthlink.net/~geomcnamara