CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2008

From:
Nuno Moreno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:50:11 +0100

forget the better do signal/noise ratio. Actually because pixel dwell
time is short, the pmts have less time to make a more statistically
accurate measurement. What leica claims is that due to faster scanning,
the number of molecules in the exited state and triples which get one
more photon is decreased, consequently decreasing bleaching. As far as I
remember, the resonant scanner operates at 8000 lps which makes a pixel
occurring in the range of tens of ns. If you remember a typical
relaxation half life time is <10ns, meaning that at some degree this can
be true.

Apart from the numbers, we do realize that bleaching is in fact less but
it is not linear (some time because you have to use more laser power its
actually higher). This can be due to the lifetime of the fluophore, due
to environment conditions, etc...

About speed I remember taking pictures at 3ms frame rate with a 16 pixel
height, having the complete confocality.

I had never try it but I would say that the sp5x (fiber white laser) can
have a laser power limitation when using the resonant head.

No commercial interest,
NM

--
Nuno Moreno