CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2008

From:
Ammasi Periasamy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:18:51 -0400

Just a correction .........
Leica SP5X tunable white light laser system covers 470-670 nm only, not the
entire visible spectrum. Very stable, provide 1.5 mW per nm, need more
power... increase the bandwidth.
ammasi

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:55:26 -0500
  Mayandi Sivaguru <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>

> Page, check out also the Leica spectral excitation and spectral emission
>confocal SP5 X. This has a single white laser with a single laser capable
>of tuning excitation wavelengths at the entire visible spectrum at 1nm
>resolution.
> In addition, remember the SP5 comes with a resonant scanner too. I have
>personally tested a SP5 system with STED with the samples I have prepared
>and very pleased with the results. That means if you have a SP5 with
>resonant scanner you can latter upgrade to superresolution technique (STED)
>which can yield around 90 nm resolutions in xy. THe AOBS based system is
>great as you loose less photons.
> But, the Zeiss 710 system's new grating design is worth to have a look. I
>personally feel that the Zeiss 710 is a system step cloaser to a spectral
>confocal such as an SP5. Zeiss has great flexibility in your laser
>selection and that will let you not burn your wallet upfront and you can
>add lasers latter as and when it is needed.
> No commercial interest on either vendors. I feel both should be great
>systems and you should select depending on your necessity and your budget.
> Shiv
>

> At 02:40 PM 3/31/2008, you wrote:
>>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>>http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>Hi Page,
>>
>>We had a new SP5 installed mid-August 2007 and we have been happy with it.
>> The system had the usual teething problems, but Leica  was rather
>>efficient in fixing them.  The software was never Leica's strong side, and
>>the new LAS AF is no exception, but you learn to live with it; the 1.8.2
>>version is definitely an improvement.  The PMTs are great with a wonderful
>>STN ratio, and the objectives are very good as well (the system shows
>>practically no lateral or axial chromatic aberration, e.g.). I don't know
>>the 710.
>>Hope this helps!
>>
>>Zoltan
>>
>>On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:28 PM, D. Page Baluch
>><<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>><http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal>http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>We are looking to upgrade our facility with a new confocal system. For the
>>past 10 years we have used both the Leica TCSNT and SP2 systems and have
>>been quite satisfied with their performance. We are now leaning towards the
>>Leica SP5 but we would like to hear from others about their experiences
>>with other confocal systems and why they think one might be better than
>>another. We recently saw a demo of the Zeiss LSM 710 which appears to be a
>>good system and know of some researchers who have used the 510 and love it.
>>Most of our users have fixed samples and use an upright microscope.
>>Thanks for your suggestions and advice,
>>Page

> [...]

Ammasi Periasamy, Ph.D.
Director, Keck Center for Cellular Imaging (KCCI)
Professor of Biology and Biomedical Engineering
Biology, Gilmer Hall (064), McCormick Rd
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904
Voice: 434-243-7602 (Office); 982-4869 (lab)
Fax:434-982-5210; Email:[log in to unmask]
http//:www.kcci.virginia.edu
Workshop on FRET Microscopy, March 3-7, 2009
http://www.kcci.virginia.edu/workshop/workshop2009/index.php