CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
Kelly Lundsten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2012 07:51:32 -0700
To be fair, there is commercial interest in my reply.  However, I have a lot of experience with the blue emitting fluors from years with Molecular Probes.  So, with that said, there is a fluorescent polymer called Brilliant Violet 421 that can be very useful for confocal, but I haven't had nearly as many people testing it out as I'd like, though.  Right now people use it mostly for flow cytometry.  It's sold by BioLegend.

It's about 70-75kD, entirely organic (no protein component to the fluor), excites at ~405nm and emits at a peak at 420nm (but in flow people use a 450/50 emission filter typical for PacB and AF405).  Its been validated multiple times in confocal but DOES NOT fit ideally into most commercial DAPI widefield filters.  The DAPI filters usually block the ideal excitation and the  dichroic in AF405 filter sets often block part of the emission.  Like any other blue fluor, it needs anti fade.  I used prolong to compare the photobleaching curves.  Signal persists at a detectable level WAY longer than PacB or AF405 because as a single molecule it has an extinction coefficient of over 2 million and a QY of 65% in water.  It's super "bright".  Also, it's great for multiphoton.  I have the 2P cross-section for anyone who wants it and the only issue in MP is that it's sweet spot is similar to collagen and they both emit blue.  There's a second polymer that'll be released in a few months called Brilliant Violet 510 that excites at 405nm and emits at 510nm or so that would be interesting to see on a spectral scope:one scan, two open windows of emission.  In flow cytometry, the BV510 doesn't excite much at 488nm, so it may be an easy way to insert in a color into a mix without increasing the bleed through/background spectral overlap area between AF488/AF555/AF594.

I'm interested in collecting images and demonstrating applications for these fluors in microscopy, so please let me know offline if and how you'd like to test it.

Kelly