CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2006

From:
Carol Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:04:22 -0500

Doug,
If you decide to go back to inverted, use Gelrite (plantmedia.com)
instead of agar as the hardener.  It is optically clear.  Also, to
get a very thin layer, try dipping the slide or coverslip in the
molten media, then let harden in a moist chamber.  scrape off the
other side before imaging.  You may want to seal the mount with wax
or Valap (vasoline, lanolin, parafin 1:1:1)  or the whole thing will
dry out over 8 hours.  scrape away excess media to get a good seal.
Of course, now you limit your gas exchange but maybe you have figured
out this part already.

Good luck,
Carol

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>I could use some advice with a sample preparation question for
>confocal that was recently posed to me by a plant scientist.  He
>would like to look at the fertilization of egg containing ovules
>using GFP tagged pollen tubes in arabidopsis.  The dissected
>portions of the appropriate plant parts (I'm not a botanist) would
>be placed on an agar surface; pollen tubes actively grow on the agar
>surface and enter the ovule to fertilize the eggs .
>
>The question becomes how to best image this process on our upright
>Zeiss LSM510NLO-Meta.  My colleague would like to avoid the use of a
>culture liquid, since the liquid may diffuse whatever chemotactic
>agent draws the sperm into the ovule.
>
>I'm thinking that a dry lens (somewhere between 20x & 40x), with
>decent working distance might be in order.  A coverslip could be
>placed over the plant parts and agar (to prevent them drying out
>over the 8 hr time period).  What I can't figure out is what to do
>with the probable air gap under the coverslip if we can't fill the
>space with an aqueous solution.  Glycerine?
>
>Note, an inverted scope would mean imaging through the agar.  While
>my colleague did this earlier with a wide-field microscope
>time-lapse of the GFP labeled pollen tube, I'm wary of doing this
>with a confocal.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Doug
>
>--
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Douglas W. Cromey, M.S. - Assistant Scientific Investigator
>Dept. of Cell Biology & Anatomy, University of Arizona
>1501 N. Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ  85724-5044 USA
>
>office:  AHSC 4212         email: [log in to unmask]
>voice:  520-626-2824       fax:  520-626-2097
>
>http://swehsc.pharmacy.arizona.edu/exppath/
>Home of: "Microscopy and Imaging Resources on the WWW"

Carol Bayles, Manager
Microscopy,  Imaging & Fluorimetry (MIF)
Biotechnology Resource Center
160a Biotech Bldg
607-254-4860
www.brc.cornell.edu