CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2010

From:
Lloyd Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:06:11 +1300
Leigh

There is no really specific stain for lignin for either fluorescence or brightfield. For fluorescence we find autofluorescence to be the most reliable. Stains often give varying responses depending on whether the material is embedded or not, and what its embedded in.
However if you are using unembedded material then phloroglucinol will be good if it is a gymnosperm. I see you are working on Plantago so the Maule reagent is likely to be better.
For embedding try LR White hard formulation or SPurr resin. Spurr resin can be removed after sectioning which might improve staining. Try silane coated slides if you have adhesion problems.

Dr Lloyd Donaldson
Senior Scientist
Scion - Next Generation Biomaterials
49 Sala St. Rotorua