CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2004

From:
Carol Heckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:57:28 -0800

Dear Pedro-
The antibody will not cross the cell membrane before fixation.  Cells
are impermeable except to certain very low molecular weight or
hydrophobic compounds. Even formaldehyde fixation does not open up
big enough pores to get an antibody through, as the antibody is very
big.  If you are seeing staining after stretching the muscle strips,
it is probably because you are breaking the cells and then the Ab can
penetrate.  If you fix in a removable medium, such as Carbowax, you
can make 1-2 micron sections and do the staining on them.
Carol

--
__
Carol A. Heckman, Ph.D.