CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2012

From:
Tamara A Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:52:38 -0700

The protocol for Nile blue staining of frozen sections in
Kiernan's "Histological and Histochemical Methods" bible
calls for differentiating the stain in 1% acetic acid
(aq.) - maybe that would remove dye from at least some lab
stuff as well as tissues?

Good luck!

Tamara

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:28:27 -0500
  Kelvin Poon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> *****
> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy
>listserv, go to:
>
> Hi all,
>
> If anyone here is familiar with Nile Red, they would
>know that it is a
> notoriously non-specific lipophilic dye. It especially
>has a penchant for
> plastics and polymers, leaving a characteristic pink hue
>on anything it
> touches. Although our lab takes care to avoid
>contamination by keeping 'Nile
> Red free' instruments, sometimes contamination is
>unavoidable. Instruments
> such as slice chambers, nylon hold-downs and
>tweezer/forceps are vulnerable
> and are too expensive to throw away. I was wondering if
>anyone has a
> protocol or even tips for cleaning and removing Nile red
>from instruments.
> Harsh solvents are not desirable but will be considered.
>
> Here is some information about its chemistry:
> http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.58681.html
>

> Thank you in advance.
> Kelvin

Tamara Howard