CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2023

From:
Jacqueline Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2023 22:04:56 +0000
To join or leave the confocal microscopy listserv or to change your email address, go to:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=confocalmicroscopy&A=1

Hi Michael,

Interesting question. We have 2 Zeiss confocal microscopes; an LSM 710 installed in 2018 and an LSM 800 Airyscan installed in 2019. Both systems are under service agreements. The LSM 800 has a comprehensive agreement that covers everything but the LSM 710 has a lower level contract that covers one preventative maintenance visit per year and labour and travel for any repairs. We have to pay for parts.

It was our decision to drop the LSM 710 contract to a lower level after we purchased the LSM 800 because that was part of the business case I wrote and we knew that the system was getting older, parts might be harder to get and we also might have to look at decommissioning the system when new equipment arrives. This decision was not influenced by Zeiss so I don't know if they would have been able to provide another comprehensive contract for that system.

Our service from Zeiss has always been excellent and so far parts have been available. Today, the LSM 710 is getting a replacement AOTF. I was glad that the part was still available. The other repair we have had in the last couple of years was the joystick and control unit for the Marzhauser stage. In this case, the control unit was second-hand but the joystick was new.

I can't imagine not being able to get service from Zeiss but I can imagine that parts might not be available.

Our two Olympus FV1000 confocals also have service agreements that include preventative maintenance visits once a year and labour/travel. These also don't include parts. However, in this case the vendor told us that they couldn't offer a comprehensive contract anymore because of the risk of not being able to guarantee that parts would be available.  One was installed in 2006 and the other in 2009 so this is understandable and we don't have a problem with it. However, both are still serviced regularly and we get excellent service support from Olympus/Evident too.

Kind regards,

Jacqui

Jacqueline Ross
Lead Technologist
Optical Microscopy & Image Analysis
Biomedical Imaging Research Unit (BIRU)
Faculty of Medical & Health Sciences
Waipapa Taumata Rau | The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
Auckland 1142, NEW ZEALAND

Telephone: Ext 87438; DDI:  +64 9 923 7438

Website:    Biomedical Imaging Research Unit - The University of Auckland<https://www.fmhs.auckland.ac.nz/en/sms/about/our-departments/biomedical-imaging-research-unit.html>

SHIPPING ADDRESS
Waipapa Taumata Rau | The University of Auckland
M&HS BUILDING 505 - Bldg 505
Level B, Room B36
85 PARK RD/Loading Dock, Park Avenue
Grafton, Auckland 1023