CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Michael Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 12:18:04 +0200
When using DIC with a confocal setup, there is only one part which
interferes with the laser/emission: the objective Nomarski prism. The two
other parts (condenser Nomarski prism, analyzer) sit in the condenser
which is not part of the confocal beam path. A polarizer is not necessary,
since the laser is already polarized.

In Zeiss setups, you put the objective prism manually in a slit below the
objective. And yes, in my experience it does degrade image quality. This
is especially true if you are working at the resolution limit. For best
image quality, you have to remove the prism. That's actually one thing I
like at the Leica stands (i.e. DMI6000): the prism is motorized and can be
moved out automatically between two images, which means you can set up a
time-lapse with DIC and fluorescence images w/o the latter being worse
than necessary.

Michael