CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2004

Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:47:24 -0700

Hi,

Metamorph has a tracking object module (for 2-D images) which can be
used either with threshold or with so called "template matching" (which
does not require the image to be threshold) or combination of both. It
works well for DIC or phase images. The program can perform the task
fully automated or with some human interactions.

Of course, high image quality (e.g. for tracking cell motility: good
signal/noise ratio, reasonable cell density, adequate time interval,
etc.) will make the task easier to perform. Online background correction
usually helps a lot. The program comes with some other functions (such
as flatten background, equalize light, etc) which can be useful to deal
with fluctuation of light intensity or uneven illumination. Subtraction
of consecutive images of timelapse is also good way to yield high
quality image for tracking. Nevertheless, there are many situations
where automation will fail miserably. Cell may change shape suddenly,
may divide, or may get clustered together and then separate , etc.
Often, cells are carried away by turbulence of the media in the dish. So
some degree of human interactions/examination may be unavoidable.

Disclaimer: No financial interests in the company. I am just a happy user.

Xuejun

--
Xuejun Sun, Ph.D.
Dept. Exp. Oncology