CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2014

From:
Kevin Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2014 14:43:03 +0000

Old-school and _extremely_ crude, but in past labs I've seen forced air cooling work well if the fan is mounted remotely (off the vibration-isolated table), with the airflow directed to the camera via a suspended length of dryer hose. Duct tape may (ahem) have been involved to force the airflow through the camera case. The first time I saw this was with an intensified vidicon camera, and the cooling was sufficient to keep the black-level and gain constant on a strictly analog device not intended for microscopy.

The dryer hose isolates the microscope from any fan vibrations, and the setup can provide consistent if limited cooling.

Kevin Ryan
Senior Project Manager
Media Cybernetics, Inc.