CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2001

From:
Mario Moronne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:35:44 -0700
Susan,

As Barbara and Jason point out, there are many packages that will
suffice. I use the no cost NIH or it's more current incarnation,
Object Image. There are included counting macros that are more or
less specifically written to handle the counting problem. You could
even use the software with some modification to count the clumps and
the cells within the clumps. Scion Image will do the same thing if
you are stuck using a PC.

Don't think this isn't a confocal question. I do this kind of thing
all the time with confocal image stacks. It is very boring and maybe
someday I will write a macro that does this in 3-D, unless someone
has already written one? Anybody, anybody?

Regards,

Mario

>This really isn't a confocal issue, but I thought someone on the list may
>have a suggestion.
>One of my users wants to measure number of "cell clumps" and size of "cell
>clumps" when treating HL-60 cells with a drug.  These cells are normally in
>suspension, but form clumps and become adherent in response to this drug.
>Does anyone know of software that could be used to analyze digital images of
>these cells after treatment or another approach for quantitating this
>observation.
>
>Susan Garfield
>Manager, Confocal Microscopy Core
>Laboratory of Experimental Carcinogenesis
>Center for Cancer Research
>National Cancer Institute, NIH
>Building 37, Room 3C28
>37 Convent Drive MSC4255
>Bethesda, MD  20892-4255
>+1 (301)496-5688 x227 (voice); +1 (301)496-0734 (fax)

Mario M. Moronne, Ph.D.
NanoMed Technologies
ph (510) 528-2400
FAX (510) 528-8076