CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2005

Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:39:32 +1000

I certainly wasn't suggesting using the slide before the glue has set!
I always use a very small drop so that it doesn't reach the edge of the
coverslip since it simply won't set where it oozes out (it sets when
oxygen cannot reach it).

Of course you could also use any of the hard-setting mounting media
but they are much slower.

                                                        Guy

Larson Jeffrey wrote:
> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> A caution against using "Super Glue" or any other cyanomethacrylate
> containing product anywhere near optical surfaces!  Cyanomethacrylate
> outgases as it cures or dries.  While commercially available coverslip
> mounting media like Permount consist of a resin dissolved in a solvent,
> cyanomethacrylate is a liquid.  What you smell when "Super Glue" cures
> is the same cyanomethacrylate that forms the bond.  This outgassed
> cyanomethacrylate coats and damages nearby optical surfaces.  It is
> difficult to remove cyanomethacrylate residue without damaging coatings.
>
> Jeffrey Larson
> Product Manager, Confocal Systems
> Nikon Instruments Inc.
> 1300 Walt Whitman Road
> Melville, NY 11747
> (631) 547-8540

Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
http://www.guycox.net