CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2000

From:
simon watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:53:44 -0500
Folks:
I thought I should let you all know about the Second annual course in
Quantitative Fluorescence Microscopy to be taught between june 19 and 24th
2000 at the Mount Desert Island Marine Biology Laboratories in Arcadia
National Park in Maine. This team taught course led by Dave Piston
(Vanderbilt), Mike Nathanson (Yale), Guillermo Romero (Pittsburgh) and
myself focusses specifically on the development and application of modern
fluorescence microscopic methods.  This intensive course covers all aspects
of the technology from microscope and dye design, cameras, confocal
microscopy, live cell microscopy, multiphoton microscopy and GFP.
Considerable attention is also given to quantitative analysis in 2 and 3
dimensions and time. The specific focus of the course allows an in depth
treatment of these methods. The goal of the course it to teach students how
to best implement these methods within their labs, using either their own
cells and tissues or using material supplied by the course.  An extensive
array instrumentation, provided by all the major microscope and associated
software, hardware and camera manufacturers will be available for students
to use.
 Last year it was a very successful event and we were encouraged to give the
course again.  A full description of the course lectures together with
lecture outlines, registration etc. is available at
http://sbic6.sbic.pitt.edu/microscopy.  I would encourage you to spread the
word, or sign up if you are interested.  The total number of students is
limited to 20, enrollment is decided by the course faculty.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me
Thanks
Simon

Simon C. Watkins Ph.D.  MRCPath
Associate Professor