CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2007

From:
Gerard Whoriskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:56:41 -0500

Sorry for the delay in responding.
We do not convert our LEDs to any form of LED-laser. The high intensity we
get is down to how we build the arrays and couple the light.
At each peak we provide we are more intense than a standard 100W Hg bulb
but the intensity seen from a sample is dependent on the choice of filters
and fluorophores used.
However contrary to popular belief, LEDs are not available at all
wavelengths and are more powerful within certain wavelength bands than
others. So we have had to select LED wavelengths to give the best
For most work where intensity is not the major issue the power from the
unit should be more than adequate. We are approximately equivalent to what
you would get from a 100W Hg bulb when looking at FITC or GFP type dyes
with a standard cube but are less powerful on DAPI and Rhodamine mainly
due to the high Hg peaks at 365nm and 546nm. For Cy5 we are very strong
due to the Hg bulb being quite weak in this region.
Currently 400nm is as low as we go and 630nm is as high as we go although
there is no technical reason why we cannot go into the IR region - there
has not been any demand that we have seen yet.
I am very interested to find out what work you are doing and what you
require from a light source as we are keen to develop towards your needs.
I would be happy to discuss any questions you may have in more detail if
you would like to contact me directly.
Thanks,
Gerry