CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2013

From:
Zdenek Svindrych <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2013 07:48:53 +0200

Dear Matt,

I don't have much experience using LLGs with lasers... But as fat as I know
you can get TEM00 only from a single mode fiber (that is some five to ten
microns in diameter). With thicker fibers more modes can propagate and the
output beam profile depends on which modes you excite, e.g. it depends on
the angle of input beam. The far filed output of a 300 micron (pretty thick)
fiber can easily look like a ring with dark center.

With LLGs it's even more severe, as they are far thicker (3 to 5
millimeters). You may try it yourself by shooting your cheap green pointer
(these usually have surprisingly nice mode structure, crapped only by the
plastic lenses inside) into an LLG. The output is far from gaussian...

Still there is some coherence in the output, and probably you'll get a lot
of speckle. It depends on your application, but most of the time it is not
practical to use LLGs with lasers. You loose all the nice features lasers
(diffraction-limited performance) and the bad features remain (speckle).

So, the last bit: Why do you want that?

Cheers,
zdenek svindrych