CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2011

From:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2011 20:06:02 -0700
you should take a bit of time to convince yourself that it w

Hi Yuval,

you should take a bit of time to convince yourself that it will really be
cheaper, over the lifetime of your instrument. Ar/Kr lasers are notorious for
having relatively short service lifetimes before the tube needs replacing (most
of the cost of a new laser). I think the Ar/Kr on our confocal in needed to be
replaced 2 or 3 times during the course of my doctorate. Solid state lasers are
getting pretty cheap these days, and are going to be much more reliable. The
only situation where I'd contemplate a gas laser (and particularly an Ar/Kr) now
was if I needed a very long coherence length for interferometry.

cheers,
David