CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2019

From:
John Oreopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2019 05:23:18 -0400

Credit must be given to Mike Model (also very active on this listserv) for conceiving the idea of using a concentrated dye solution as a microscope diagnostic sample. He first published about them almost 2 decades ago:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11500847

and subsequently produced other publications showing how these samples can be used for other useful quantitative imaging purposes. A thick fluorescent plastic specimen is probably suitable for measuring field flatness or uniformity on a laser-scanning confocal microscope, but for a spinning disk confocal microscope, it produces the worst possible (and unrealistic) case of complete and total pinhole cross-talk which superimposes the illumination profile. As mentioned by James, the beauty of the concentrated dye solutions - besides their cheapness, ease of creation, and spectral variety - is that they only produce fluorescence from a diffraction-limited layer adjacent to the coverslip due to their optical density. An example of the difference can be seen here, where a maximum intensity z-projection of plastic slide and dye slide acquired using Andor's Borealis illumination technique on a spinning disk confocal system are presented:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vOP0TxLCDAJYVMlKe7dQSv7XxZLEEWfy/view?usp=sharing

In the example above, the illumination was purposefully reduced to be a sub-section of the the entire camera field of view to show the pinhole cross-talk effect.

Not only does such a specimen allow one to measure the true illumination profile on a spinning disk confocal microscope, but a z-scan will also reveal other useful metrics, such as the thickness of the optical section. They can also be used for flat-field/shading correction, and Kurt Thorn wrote a nice piece on this in his imaging blog:

http://nic.ucsf.edu/blog/2014/01/shading-correction-of-fluorescence-images/
http://nic.ucsf.edu/blog/2014/01/fluorescent-dyes-for-shading-correction/
http://nic.ucsf.edu/blog/2014/04/shading-correction-for-different-objectives-and-channels/

But it turns out that the story on achieving images free of non-uniformity artifacts is more complicated. Making sure the illumination light coming out of the confocal scan head is flat is just one aspect of the situation; How the scan head mates to the microscope and funnels the laser light to the objective lens, and the chromatic aberrations of the objective lens itself play an equally important role, especially on systems using large field of view sCMOS cameras.

John Oreopoulos