CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1994

From:
Nigel Brookes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 1994 10:54:25 NZS
We at the Ophthalmic Unit, Department of Surgery, University of Auckland have been
confocally imaging living corneal keratocytes, principally using the fluorescent vital dye
Calcien-AM (Molecular Probes). The technique we have been using requires some macro
dissection of the cornea, but the cells are left in situ (i.e. not isolated). Initial work on this
project using standard fluorescence microscopy has recently been published (CA Poole, NH
Brookes, GM Clover "Keratocyte networks visualised in the living cornea using vital dyes"; J.
Cell Sci. 106, 685-692, 1993). We have now extended this visualisation to confocal
microscopy, enabling 3D reconstruction of these intricate networks, using both fresh and
fixable fluorescent dyes. We are about to submit a paper detailing this.

Nigel Brookes, Department of Surgery, University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand.

Telephone +64 9 3737599 x6250
Fax       +64 9 3737495
E-mail    [log in to unmask]