CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2011

From:
"Gustin, Emmanuel [TIBBE]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 16:18:48 +0200

I think that actually, the critical point is that you *know* the beads
(or in the PALM/STORM case, molecules) are sub-resolution in size? The
image reconstruction uses more information than is present in the image,
and this allows you to go below the optical resolution limit. But there
is no way to tell from the image alone what size the beads are.

I guess that theoretically, if you would feed an algorithm with the
knowledge that you have labeled, for example, tubulin and information
about the patterns you expect to see (size of structures, persistence
lengths of bending, branching behavior, ...) you could use it to do
a type of "deconvolution plus" and create a sub-resolution image.

Whether other people would have confidence in the image that has been
constructed in that way, is another matter.

Best Regards,

Emmanuel

--
 Emmanuel Gustin,    Tel. (+32) 14 64 1586,    e-mail: [log in to unmask]