CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2007

From:
"Rietdorf, Jens" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 00:04:24 +0200

Hi Julio,

I was trying to avoid a re-initiation of the disussion about sampling on this list short time ago, however, if you use the Nyquist calculator kindly provided by SVI on their wiki (no commercial interest)
http://support.svi.nl/wiki/NyquistCalculator, you come up with very different (smaller) numbers for the sampling compared to the 'optimal' numbers of Zeiss. The 'optimal' is suited to avoid 'gaps' between samples, but is undersampling according to Nyquist.
I wish it wasnt, bacause as you mention, sampling at Nyquist rate really can take very long, so you have to trade signal and rely on deco to deal with very noisy input pictures (which fortunately it does). But missing the oportunity to make use of the knowledge about the bandwidth of your aquisition device -and to filter the signal accordingly- really sounds to me like be a bad idea.
And if you doubt you need the high frequencies because you suspect there is not enough contrast, why not using a lower NA lens instead?

Cheers, jens