CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2016

From:
Stanislav Vitha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2016 10:37:55 -0500

Yes, the correction factor n2/n1 is sufficient for most cases.
(n2 = RI of the sample; n1 = RI of the objective's immersion medium)
There is some residual error in this calculation. If you wanted to be really
precise, look at this paper: 	Kuypers, L.C., W.F. Decraemer, J.J. Dirckx, and
J.P. Timmermans, A procedure to determine the correct thickness of an
object with confocal microscopy in case of refractive index mismatch. J
Microsc, 2005. 218(Pt 1): p. 68-78.

I have not used Zeiss confocals much in last 20 years, but remember that
when I worked with Zeiss LSM 10 (yes, before LSM 310 or 210) it actually
had this correction implemented when you did Z-scans and depth profiling.

Stan Vitha
Microscopy and Imaging Center
Texas A&M University

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 20:44:51 +0000, Moulding, Dale
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi Michael,
>Is it just needing correction for refractive index? 660um imaged through
the glass will be 660 x 1.51 to give the expected 1mm (air to glass RI
mismatch) and a 1.31 air to water correction in the other set up?
>Cheers
>Dale
>

>On 5 Apr 2016, at 21:15, Cammer, Michael
<[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:

>A few weeks ago there was a discussion here about measuring depth by
reflectance.

>We had a similar issue.  Yes there are "ghost" reflections as we moved
away from the glass surfaces, but we expected these because of the 3D
nature of diffraction patterns.

>The bigger problem was that the answers we were getting for depth
measurements were unexpectedly small.

>A user came in to image a home built chamber with a glass face.  The
results we were getting for depth seemed too small.  Therefore, we made a
chamber with cut glass slides to check this.  A description with pictures etc
is at http://microscopynotes.com/710/10X_cal_issue/index.html , but here
is the short version:

>When imaged through the glass slide to the coverslip we got the same
results as imaging through the coverslip to the slide.

>When imaging through air or dilute water based dye, we got the same
results.

>My conclusion is that there is a calibration constant off somewhere in the
confocal system; it's probably just a software problem.