CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1999

From:
Donald O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:19:14 -0500
Dear David Knecht,
    The subject of confocal accoutrements recently came
up on the 2-photon listserv.  Below are my suggestions that
I sent to that list.  In addition, make
sure there is room to get in behind your airtable!  I bought a
4' x 6' airtable, which maybe is too large with today's
shrinking confocals.  While, I certainly don't mind having the
extra air table space, it is a bit longer reach if one is making
modifications to the laser, shutter, etc.

RE: MPLSM: Monitor/keyboard furniture
      Although I've only used BioRad's MRC 600, we
place the computer, monitor, external drive, etc.
on a small wooden table next to the air table.  It
essentially serves as a desk in that you can comfortably
use keyboard and mouse.  In the current version you can get
behind the confocal from the other side of the air
table.  In the earlier version, you had to climb under the table,
which was only good for the slightest and nimblest of us.
    My current table is 36 inches square and the table top
is 29.5 inches high.  The 2 monitors sit on a small shelf
and the computer (non-tower model) slides underneath
the shelf.  This shelf sits towards the back of the table leaving
room for keyboard in front.  This table is a little bit too
small because I don't have quite enough room for my
lab notebook so I can't conveniently take notes.  I'm
currently looking for the perfect table (for my room) which would be
about 48 inches square, just filling the fixed gap between
air table and wall.
       I don't do 2-photon, so I can't address the light
issues, but a small desk lamp on the table would allow
note taking and be easily shut off during imaging.  I've
also taken notes with a microscope illuminator, which
perhaps can be dimmed enough to leave on during imaging?

Donald M. O'Malley
414 Mugar Hall
Department of Biology
Northeastern University