CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1994

From:
tom moninger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 1994 13:16:00 -0500
Some quick comments;
        I operate two confocal microscopes (MRC-600's) and do a fair
ammount of 3-D reconstructions on an older SGI Personal Iris 25.  I an
currently using VoxBlast software (from Vaytek Inc., Fairfield, IA) and am
quite pleased with it.  It is less expensive and I feel more flexible and
powerful (especially when it comes to volume and 3-D measurements) than
VoxelView (which was the software we initially purchased.
        There is no question--buy a SGI, the biggest you can afford.  Macs
and PCs just are fast enough for large data  sets.  Also, I would concider
32Mbs RAM as a minimum.  Hope this helps.

Thomas Moninger ([log in to unmask])
Central ElectronMicroscopy Research Facility
and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute
85 EMRB University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242 319-335-8142