CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
"simon walker (BI)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:25:13 +0100
Hi Mike,

We have seen a similar problem to this, particularly apparent in DIC transmitted light images.  However, of our two FV1000 systems (located in different rooms), it is only readily apparent on one.  This has led us to believe it is a vibration issue, especially as we can cause a more severe, but similar-looking problem by deliberately introducing a source of vibration near to the microscope.  However, if true, we have yet to isolate the cause of the problem vibration.

While I'm here...has anyone properly investigated the effect of the DIC objective prism in confocal fluorescence imaging?  I had always assumed (rightly or wrongly) that it's presence didn't influence the PSF, but last week I was imaging some subresolution beads and found that, particularly on our IX81-based FV1000 confocals, the DIC objective prism had quite a pronounced effect on the psf.  Specifically the psf was distorted along a diagonal axis and at the point of focus, the bead appeared significantly larger with the prism in place. The implication of this is that for confocal fluorescence imaging, the resolution of the microscope is reduced when the DIC objective prism is in place.  I've also looked on our Zeiss Axiovert 200 and Nikon TE-2000 based systems which employ a slightly different method of DIC and there the effect is much less pronounced although noticeable.

Simon