CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

From:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 13:53:56 -0800
I've built STORM/PALM system and can confirm that it's not t

Hi David,

I've built STORM/PALM system and can confirm that it's not too difficult. That
said, every system will usually be quite different, depending on the specific
requirements and abilities making a 'one size fits all' instruction manual very
difficult to write. In general it'd be fair to say that some optics/laser design
& alignment experience is desirable when it comes to getting the hardware side
working, and it might be worth getting someone from the local physics department
to help you. Programming experience is also a plus, although something like
'QuickPALM' (as mentioned by John) might give you a leg up (you'd probably still
need to do a bit of tweaking to get everything working on your system). I'm
personally not a huge fan of ImageJ/umanager/ Java in general, so would probably
look for another solution, but this might be personal preference. We use custom,
in house, software which I think is a lot more mature, but which is currently
not particularly well documented.

It also pays to give some thought to what variants of PALM/STORM you want to
support as this has a huge influence on the setup. If your users are looking at
fixed specimens with antibody labelling, something like dSTORM is probably the
easiest to implement (single laser, no complicated switching patterns, can get
away without software control of shutters etc ...).

The two aspects of the hardware that you can't really get off the shelf
components for and are probably going to need to play with are:
-  the laser coupling (commercial TIRF couplers typically give too little power
over too large a field of view),
- the focus mechanism (most commercial z-drives show quite a lot of drift - so
you're going to either need some form of active stabilisation, or to redesign
the focus mechanism - we ended up using a PIFoc piezo focusser on a custom metal
bracket & doing away with the microscopes focus mechanism completely).

If you've got any specific questions, you're welcome to get in touch,
cheers,
David