CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Glen MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:38:13 -0700
It is hard to predict.  Our old MRC-1000 UV confocal was on the 7th
floor of a building that had cable suspended floors.  An 8 inch thick
Newport table top on solid steel legs provided very stable images.
But, we moved it to the ground floor of an adjacent building and the
same table allowed us to detect doors  and drawers opening and closing
in adjacent rooms, plus footsteps in the hallway.  Air legs resolved
the floor resonance and the fact the high pressure hot water pipes for
building heat were bolted to the ceiling of the mechanical space in
the basement, right under the confocal.   At least building sway is
not an issue.

At one point, there were plans to put a light rail tunnel under our
building.   The seismic engineers predicted that labs in our basement,
where the floor is a concrete slab on the ground, would have serious
vibration issues at least during construction.

right now, we are surrounded by construction of a new building .  Lab
supplies are jiggling on the shelves because of compactors mounted on
excavators packing fill dirt and track mounted jack hammers  doing
demolition.   The air tables on 2 confocals and 2 widefield systems
seem to be blocking everything, as checked by z-series and fast
timelapse on beads.

Positive pressure filtered ventilation would keep dust from coming in
under the doors.  Ours is allegedly filtered but a white dust keeps
appearing in one of the imaging suites.

Regards,
Glen

Glen MacDonald
Core for Communication Research
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 357923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7923  USA
(206) 616-4156

The box said "Requires WindowsXP or better", so I bought a Macintosh.