CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
John Oreopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:53:11 -0400
Carl,

Yes, you have to be very careful cleaning optics like this that have
special coatings that affect their function. The only advice I have
is this: A couple of times our lab has ordered some specialized
dichroic mirrors and emission filters from Chroma and when they
arrive in their box they come with a small orange slip of paper that
talks about cleaning them. This slip says that if there a smudge of
something that you really need to get remove that can't be taken off
by a stream of air, just use a piece of lens paper and put a few
drops of warm water on it. Then lightly drag this wet tissue across
the optic's surface in one direction slowly. Repeat if necessary.

As I recall, this topic of cleaning filters has come up on the server
before about a year ago or less and several people had recommended
the First Contact polymer. Try searching the archives on this for
more information.

(No commercial interest for Chroma or Photonic)

John Oreopoulos