CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2006

Date:
Fri, 26 May 2006 16:43:04 +1000

Thank you Guy for filling in these details.

Alan was truly a pearl, and those who knew him will always feel
fortunate to have done so.

As Alan was pillar of the UBC Course for the last 6 years, I feel
that I too should just add a couple of words. When I visited
Melbourne to give a talk in early 2000, I spoke to Alan about him
attending the UBC Course. However, I was dubious about asking because
as the Course is basically a volunteer operation and as I knew that
Alan now earned his bread-and-butter as consultant, I doubted that he
could spare the time. I need not have worried, he "came early and
stayed late" and didn't get much sleep in between. For the last six
Junes, he was lion: clear, approachable lectures, the first to
volunteer to fill  in for emergencies, a favourite of students and
faculty alike.

As we all prepare for this year's effort, I don't know how we will
get on without him.

On behalf of all the friends you made in Vancouver, thank you Alan.

And all the best to Kirstin, Ben and Cameron in this sad time.

Sincerely,

Jim Pawley

>Many people have already paid tribute to Alan in this
>group and I feel I must also add a few words.
>
>When I first got to know Alan he was working on malaria
>at the QIMR in Brisbane.  Those were the early days of
>the confocal list and we were both frequent contributors.
>One time he contacted me asking for advice on how to
>produce grey-scale phase images with fluorescence
>superimposed in green from his Bio-Rad MRC 600. (Novel
>then, although everyone does it now).  I wrote him a
>draft macro to produce the required 3 colour channels.
>Typically, once he'd grasped the principle he wrote a much
>improved version and sent me several images he'd produced,
>with full permission to use them in my lectures (which I
>gladly did).
>
>Alan left Brisbane for a job in Melbourne, and his family
>(the boys then very young) visited us in Balmain on the way.
>Sadly the Melbourne job did not turn out well and Alan found
>himself being asked to some things which he felt were
>scientifically questionable.  A man of lesser principle might
>have said "Well, I'm just an employee" but of course not Alan,
>so he had no choice but to resign.  There was a possibility
>of a job in Perth, but he didn't want to subject his family
>to a further upheaval and instead took the bold step of starting
>his own training and consultancy business, Biocon.
>
>His training manual for Biocon's courses eventually evolved into
>a full-blown book, and, typically, when he got the feeling that
>his publishers were not paying enough attention to layout he
>decided to send it to them in camera-ready form, thereby doubling
>his workload but ensuring he got the result he wanted.  The book
>was published last year, so at least Alan was able to see the
>success of his labours, and indeed see it go into a second printing.
>
>Our thoughts, and I'm sure the thoughts of all who knew him, are
>with his widow Kirstin and two sons Ben and Cameron at this time.
>
>						Guy

>Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
>Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
>University of Sydney, NSW 2006
>Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
>Mobile 0413 281 861
>http://www.guycox.net

Prof. James B. Pawley,               		            Ph.  608-263-3147
Room 223, Zoology Research Building,
FAX  608-265-5315
1117 Johnson Ave., Madison, WI, 53706
3D Microscopy of Living Cells Course, June 10-22, 2006, UBC, Vancouver
Canada
Info: http://www.3dcourse.ubc.ca/	     Applications due by March 15, 2006
	       "If it ain't diffraction, it must be statistics." Anon.