CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2014

From:
Zdenek Svindrych <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:22:57 +0200

Hi Andrew,

the camera-space numerical aperture is pretty low, about 0.06 (assuming
field number of 22 mm and tube lens focal length 180 mm). It's even less for
smaller detectors... I don't think the low power lens could cause some
aberrations, the microscope objective itself is the critical part.

For the same reason a flat piece of glass would just offset the image; the
aberrations (not a pure astigmatism, in general) become important at much
higher NA's.

You can try tilting a low power spherical singlet (plano-convex). It works
well with diverging laser beam (NA 0.01), but I did not try some raytracing
to see the exact behaviour in infinity space or in the converging beam just
in front of the camera :-).

Of course translating a cylindrical lens closer to the camera reduces the
astigmatism. It depends, what's easier for you to do mechanically - tilt a
lens or shift it along it's axis...

Zdenek