CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2010

From:
Jay Vyas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:22:49 -0500
Hi all--

We have a spinning disck confocal microscope that uses Metamorph. We are
in the process of preparing figures for a manuscript. We consulted with the
information for authors for the desired journal and was confused to learn that
the images must be 300 DPI (dots per inch). I understand that images are
measured using PPI (pixels per inch) and DPI is not the same as PPI. When I
consulted with the copy editor of the journal, I did not get useful information.
I will assume that they wish to have images at 300 PPI

How do you take images from Metamorph (raw data) and end up with a TIFF
ready for publication?

I propose to do the following
1. Open raw data image in photoshop. It is 672 pixels by 512 pixels.
2. adjust contrast
3. If I open the image information, it reads 72 pixels/inch
4. Crop image to select cell
5. SAve image as tiff file
6. Open adobe illustrator
7. place file in adobe illustrator
8. scale image to final size (this typically reduces the physical dimensions of
the image by 50%)
9. annotate file with arrows and labels as necessary
10. Set raster effect to 300ppi on the print dialog.

I would love input from the group to see if I have done anything here that
would be considered suboptimal (or wrong...).