CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2003

From:
"Vergara, Leoncio A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:09:23 -0600

We have a NORAN "OZ" system running with the Silicon Graphics station using
the software Intervision.
I agree with the comments from Tony Collins about the reason for the market
failure of the system. The software running a SGI station was our main
problem. The software is very unfriendly, full of bugs and unreliable. We
still have the system in working condition, but with no much use.
Last week I spoke with someone from Prairie Technologies, the company that
bought the rights over the NORAN video rate technology, I understand that
one of their projects is to redesign the electronic control box, replace the
software for one running on a PC and offer a retrofit. Depending on the
cost, this would be a good chance for our OZ system to come back to life!
I have no experience with spinning disk confocals, but for what I have seen,
heard and read, I also agree with the comments about their disadvantages. It
would be great to have a system with all the potentialities of the NORAN
working properly.

Leoncio Vergara
Director
Optical Imaging Lab. (OIL)