CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2010

From:
Brian Beatty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 08:13:51 -0400
Hi Dries,
If you need a freeware program that does most of the exact same things as Adobe Illustrator, you might also checkout Inkscape.
http://www.inkscape.org/
In the past several years there has been an explosion of freeware that can do many of the same things that much more costly programs do. My favorite example is Zotero http://www.zotero.org, which is a freeware reference manager akin to EndNote or RefWorks, but is totally free.
If you aren't already familiar with Illustrator, it might be worth learning how to use something else that is free and easily downloaded on whatever computer you want it for, including those of your students or at home.
In that regard, it's a good idea to try out R http://www.r-project.org for any statistical work you are doing. Again, R is free, and is quickly becoming the system that statisticians seem to prefer.
Cheers,
Brian
Dept. Anatomy