CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2005

From:
"Monette, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:33:09 -0500

Hi Sarah,  I'm routinely do calcium imaging using Fluo-3, fluo-4 and
Fura-red on rat cortical neurons of 2-3 weeks old and on rat organotypic
hippocampal slices and get nice and strong calcium respond to stimuli that
should induced it.  Weaker respond as some spontaneous calcium spikes are
also fairly easy to detect.  Here the protocol I'm using.

Hope it work on cardiac neuron.  I know it work well on cardiomyocite.

Good luck.

Calcium measurement :
Dyes:
A) Calcium measurement :
Dyes:   Fluo-3: 50 µg/ 8.8 µl DMSO: 5 mM
                        Ex.: 506 nm     Em.: 526 nm
        Fluo-4: 50 µg/ 9.2 µl DMSO: 5 mM
                        Ex.: 506 nm     Em.: 526 nm
                Fura Red:       50 µg/ 4.6 µl DMSO: 10 mM
                        Ex:. 458 nm     Em.: 600 nm
Protocole to loaded cells with the AME of Ca indicator dyes
i)   Plurionic ac.: 10% (w/v) in DMSO
Acetoxymethyl ester of Ca indicator at 5 and  10 mM in DMSO
ii)       1) 8.8 µl Fluo-3 AM (5 mM) + 10 µl ac. Plurionic 10% + 531.2 µl B1
Ca++
[Fluo-3]= 80 µM     [plurionic]=  [Fura-Red]= 160 µM:  vigorously mixed
                        If double labeling.
250 ml Fluo-3 (80 mM) + 1.5 ml NBM.
[Fluo]= 10 µM       [plurionic]= ?%       [Fura-Red]= 20 µM

Protocole to loaded cells with the AME of Ca indicator dyes
A)  Stained for Fluo-3 (w/o Fura-red): Incubate 30 min. at 37 oC.
C) Wash with NBM.
D) Keep at RT until experiments in NBM.  (at least 30 min. for hydrolysis
before imaging)

Solution:
Solution: NBM: (mM): 153 NaCl; 3.5 KCl; 0.4 KH2PO4; 10 HEPES, 5 NaHCO3; 1.2
Na2SO4, 1.2 MgCl2, 1.3 CaCl2; 15 glucose.

Robert