CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2011

From:
Jeremy Adler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:53:07 +0100

Sorry Guy to reuse your unnecessarily terse comment, it is you who are wrong.

Multiphoton imaging clearly does limit the origins of any fluorescence
but does not address the original problem, Poisson noise, about why
confocal images appear noisy - lack of in focus photons, which you
correctly pointed out.
Deconvolution of widefield images does address Poisson noise since it
efficiently uses all detectable photons and therefore is worthwhile. A
deconvolved widefield image will often be preferable to a confocal or
multiphoton image.
There is also a semantic question about what constitutes noise and if
unwanted out of focus photons can be returned to their origins then
they cease to be noise and become signal.