CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2012

From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 13:56:02 +0100

Dear all,

thank you so much for all your answers.

Meanwhile I got a copy of the Goldmann paper on "Spaltlampenphotographie
und -photometrie". Just for the record: Volume 98 apparently appeared
mostly during 1939, so the official reference is Ophtalmologica (1939)
Vol 98 Issue 5/6 pages 257-270. However, the first page of the article
itself says "Januar 1940".  (doi:10.1159/000299716)

Goldman describes a problem that ophtalmologists as himself faced during
that time. A slit lamp allows examination of the eye, but only one slit
is in focus at any one time. The rest of the seen image lights up with
stray light. He says that for the experienced ophtalmologist it is
possible to reconstruct the complete image in his mind but photography
was impossible.
He solves the problem by introducing a slit aperture in front of the
film in the attached camera so that only the in focus parts are
recorded. A special mechanism moves the illumination slit over the eye
and synchronously the film behind the slit so that a complete in-focus
image is generated when the mechanism is set in motion.

I guess this qualifies as a confocal system with the slit in front of
the camera being equivalent to a confocal aperture. I am not sure it
qualifies as a microscope, though, since no significant magnification is
involved. The article does contain images. I have to admit that I do not
recognize very much and I do not know whether this is due to my absent
knowledge of ophthalmology or due to poor quality of my copy or both.

The apparatus was built by Haag-Streit, according to the article. They
are still in business. I don't know though if current slit lamps for
ophthalmology still work by that principle

I have another question about the Petran-System. The US-Patent contains
the well-known epi-llumination version but in addition includes a
version for transmission, with two objectives, one on either side of the
preparation. Was this version actually built?

The link to the respective Google patent page is
http://www.google.com/patents/US3517980?printsec=drawing&dq=ininventor:%22Milan+Hadravsky%22&ei=g0qlUOe3H8fe4QTMuIGADA#v=onepage&q&f=false

The transmission system is shown in Figures 3 and 4.

Guy, if you should happen to have a copy of your historical reviews
still available, I surely would appreciate them.

Steffen