CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2000

From:
Bartek Rajwa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:12:12 -0400
On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Don Arnold wrote:

> I have a Biorad MRC-1024 which uses a Dell Poweredge 2300 running the OS/2
> WARP 4.0 operating system. In order to connect to the University's network
> I need to obtain the ethernet hardware address. Does anyone know how I
> could do this?

During the configuration of IPX (as far as I remember ) in MPTS on
OS/2 a system asks for ethernet hardware address (MAC address). The
simplest way to obtain it is to run an ethernet adapter configuration
utility - MAC address is always shown somewhere in info section.

I have no idea what sort of an ethernet adapter Dell Poweredge has,
but anyway you should be able to achieve somehow the following:

1) Restart your machine in DOS mode (usually DOS utility/setup
software for ethernet adapters cannot be run in DOS-window in
OS/2). If your Warp 4 was installed without DOS underneath, try to
boot the machine from a DOS floppy.

2) Run the adapter setup/utility software (it should be available on
floppies or CD which come with your ethernet adapter)

3) Go into info section and look for "MAC address".

BTW: it is good idea to switch off the plug-n-play (plug-n-pray)
capability on the ethernet adapter if you want to use it with OS/2

Happy etherneting,

Bartek

``Does anybody else find irony in the fact that Bill Gates says he's
trying to write a stable OS, and Linus claims he's trying to take over the
world?'' Anonymous