CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2012

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2012 06:49:58 -0400

Hi Simon,

Your cells might not need the 100x excess of riboflavin present in
"standard" DMEM, your background could be reduced. The Essen tech note I
mentioned lists:
DMEM 0.4 mg/L riboflavin ... 43.6 units fluorescence
Eagles MEM 0.1 mg/mL     ... 12.9
F12K            0.04               ... 5.4
EBM             0.004             ... 3.7
Riboflavin (alone) 0.4          ... 58.7 (perhaps suggesting that
culture media quenches riboflavin or it gets converted in part to
something less fluorescent?)
Contact Essen if you want the entire tech note.

If you absolutely require a green fluorescent protein, spend the time to
switch to the new Clover or "V6" from Steven Vogel (available from
addgene.org as VVVVVV).
If you do not need green, switch to tdTomato or the new mRuby2.

Choose Destination

    * File
    * Clipboard
    * Collections
    * E-mail
    * Order
    * My Bibliography
    * Citation manager

    * Format

Create File

    * Search: clover mruby2
    * Format MeSH and Other Data
    * E-mail
    * Subject
    * Additional text

E-mail
"SPAM" filtering software notice
</corehtml/query/MyNCBI/exquery/spam_note.html>
Add to Clipboard
Add to Collections
Order articles
Add to My Bibliography

Generate a file for use with external citation management software.

Create File
Nat Methods. <#> 2012 Sep 9. doi: 10.1038/nmeth.2171. [Epub ahead of print]

  Improving FRET dynamic range with bright green and red fluorescent
  proteins.

Lam AJ
</pubmed?term=Lam%20AJ%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22961245>,
St-Pierre F
</pubmed?term=St-Pierre%20F%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22961245>,
Gong Y
</pubmed?term=Gong%20Y%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22961245>,
Marshall JD
</pubmed?term=Marshall%20JD%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22961245>,
Cranfill PJ
</pubmed?term=Cranfill%20PJ%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22961245>,
Baird MA
</pubmed?term=Baird%20MA%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22961245>,
McKeown MR
</pubmed?term=McKeown%20MR%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22961245>,
Wiedenmann J
</pubmed?term=Wiedenmann%20J%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22961245>,
Davidson MW
</pubmed?term=Davidson%20MW%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22961245>,
Schnitzer MJ
</pubmed?term=Schnitzer%20MJ%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22961245>,
Tsien RY
</pubmed?term=Tsien%20RY%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22961245>,
Lin MZ
</pubmed?term=Lin%20MZ%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22961245>.

      Source

1] Department of Bioengineering, Stanford University, Stanford,
California, USA. [2] Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University,
Stanford, California, USA.

      Abstract

A variety of genetically encoded reporters use changes in fluorescence
resonance energy transfer (FRET) to report on biochemical processes in
living cells. The standard genetically encoded FRET pair consists of
CFPs and YFPs, but many CFP-YFP reporters suffer from low FRET dynamic
range, phototoxicity from the CFP excitation light and complex
photokinetic events such as reversible photobleaching and
photoconversion. We engineered two fluorescent proteins,* Clover and
mRuby2*, which are the brightest green and red fluorescent proteins to
date and have the highest Förster radius of any ratiometric FRET pair
yet described. Replacement of CFP and YFP with these two proteins in
reporters of kinase activity, small GTPase activity and transmembrane
voltage significantly improves photostability, FRET dynamic range and
emission ratio changes. These improvements enhance detection of
transient biochemical events such as neuronal action-potential firing
and RhoA activation in growth cones.

PMID:
    22961245

PLoS One. <#> 2012;7(5):e38209. Epub 2012 May 30.

  Fluorescence polarization and fluctuation analysis monitors subunit
  proximity, stoichiometry, and protein complex hydrodynamics.

Nguyen TA
</pubmed?term=Nguyen%20TA%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22666486>, Sarkar
</pubmed?term=Sarkar%20P%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22666486>,
Veetil JV
</pubmed?term=Veetil%20JV%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22666486>, Koushik
SV
</pubmed?term=Koushik%20SV%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22666486>,
Vogel SS
</pubmed?term=Vogel%20SS%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22666486>.

      Source

Section on Cellular Biophotonics, Laboratory of Molecular Physiology,
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes
of Health, Rockville, Maryland, United States of America.

      Abstract

Förster resonance energy transfer (FRET) microscopy is frequently used
to study protein interactions and conformational changes in living
cells. The utility of FRET is limited by false positive and negative
signals. To overcome these limitations we have developed Fluorescence
Polarization and Fluctuation Analysis (FPFA), a hybrid single-molecule
based method combining time-resolved fluorescence anisotropy (homo-FRET)
and fluorescence correlation spectroscopy. Using FPFA, homo-FRET (a 1-10
nm proximity gauge), brightness (a measure of the number of fluorescent
subunits in a complex), and correlation time (an attribute sensitive to
the mass and shape of a protein complex) can be simultaneously measured.
These measurements together rigorously constrain the interpretation of
FRET signals. Venus based control-constructs were used to validate FPFA.
The utility of FPFA was demonstrated by measuring in living cells the
number of subunits in the ?-isoform of Venus-tagged calcium-calmodulin
dependent protein kinase-II (CaMKII?) holoenzyme. Brightness analysis
revealed that the holoenzyme has, on average, 11.9 ± 1.2 subunit, but
values ranged from 10-14 in individual cells. Homo-FRET analysis
simultaneously detected that catalytic domains were arranged as dimers
in the dodecameric holoenzyme, and this paired organization was
confirmed by quantitative hetero-FRET analysis. In freshly prepared cell
homogenates FPFA detected only 10.2 ± 1.3 subunits in the holoenzyme
with values ranging from 9-12. Despite the reduction in subunit number,
catalytic domains were still arranged as pairs in homogenates. Thus,
FPFA suggests that while the absolute number of subunits in an
auto-inhibited holoenzyme might vary from cell to cell, the organization
of catalytic domains into pairs is preserved.

PMID:
    22666486

I am a bit disappointed Vogel's group did not go for V8 (a well known
drink) or V12 - the latter either as a polypeptide or with inducible
dimerization domain. V12 since the goal of this paper is to quantify the
number of subunits in CaMKIIalpha, which turns out to be 12 (+/- a few)
as described in
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3364239/figure/pone-0038209-g004/