CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2011 16:22:02 -0500

Hi Mark,

If 1 usec is too long, scan faster. The Leica resonant scanner operates
at 8000 lines per second. In 1,024 pixel/line mode, pixel dwell time is
approximately 0.125 usec (come to think of it, half that in
unidirectional scanning mode). The Fukasawa 2006 IEEE paper (cited in
Becker 2011) figure 7 shows that their (2006 era prototype) could
distinguish between 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 photons (and practically no
counts at zero). I used APD's on the X1 port of a Leica CW-STED in
September - I would love to see how well the hybrid detector(s) work
STED, especially with lifetime gating alluded to in Becker, Fukasawa and
Michalet 2008 (the latter 2 papers I found freely available on line). If
someone would please buy UM a B&H or Leica hybrid detector, I will work
to get it installed it on the NDD port (B&H) or in the SP5 scanhead
(HyD), hook it up to our SPC-830 TCSPC board, and let you know how well
it works compared to our current FLIM PMTs and APDs. Plus, whoever buys
it for us will have an excellent reason to come visit Miami to use it.

Enjoy,

George
Analytical Imaging Core Facility
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine

--

George McNamara, PhD