CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2003

From:
Alan Hibbs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:29:02 +1000

the confocal microscope I should have mentioned that the hair can just
as readily be mounted in water (although physically glycerol is easier
to use as a mountant). Guy is right, spherical aberration is an
important consideration and so if you do have a water immersion lens
with correcting collar then water mounting would be better.

The good thing about the hair sample is that it has a low level of
fluorescence, is very stable from one day to the next and has fine
structural detail within the hair. The same sample can be used over an
extended period to check the sensitivity and resolution of the
instrument. Yes, the hair will act as a lens, but then so will all other
cell samples - and they are very difficult to reproduce even the next
day, never mind the next month.

Hair is not a perfect sample, but it does have some advantages over
using live cells to test the instrument.

Regards, Alan Hibbs.

BIOCON (publishers of the manual "Confocal Microscopy for Biologists",
mailto:[log in to unmask])
7 Walhalla Drive                 Phone: 61 3 9876 9822    FAX: 61 3 8660
2290
Ringwood East VIC 3135        Director: Dr. Alan R. Hibbs
Australia