CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2011

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:35:19 -0500

>This is why it is good to sample a little higher than the Nyqyist
>rate.  Airy discs can be separated from Poisson noise by deconvolution
>or by other noise reduction algorithms.
>
>Brian

Hi Brian,

I agree that sampling a bit higher than Nyquist never hurts,
especially if you deconvolve (as you always should), but I think that
it is a mistake to think that one can "separate" out the noise by
decon. I think that noise is pretty fundamental.

Would you not agree that the best you can do is effectively average
the statistical noise over all the measurements needed to define a
PSF at the sampling you are using? If we assume that from 64 to 125
pixels are needed to define a PSF, this produces a significant noise
reduction. But not an infinite one.

Best

Jim Pawley
Prof. James B. Pawley,               		            Ph.
608-238-3953
21. N. Prospect Ave. Madison, WI 53726 USA
3D Microscopy of Living Cells Course, June 10-22, 2012, UBC, Vancouver Canada
Info: http://www.3dcourse.ubc.ca/	Applications accepted after 11/15/12
	       "If it ain't diffraction, it must be statistics." Anon.