CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2007

From:
"Williams, Geoffrey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 09:44:01 -0400

Jumping in a bit late with some feedback based on our practices.

Dual fee system seems to work for now.  Users pay a flat hourly fee or
an annual fee.  Billing and budget issues are a bit headache in any
institution, but our system seems to work pretty well.  It encourages
the mastery of the microscope and the attainment of ideal images that
represent the researcher and the university at the level they should be.
We have a few users who just do hourly.  This system only works though
on our most heavily used tools (the confocals).  The EM systems are pure
hourly, but the type of imagine (relative to confocal) lends itself to
getting in quickly and taking the picture, (vs stack after stack)...

The issue of cost recovery is huge.  The MSA listserver had a fantastic
discussion about just this subject a year or many ago.  It might be
worth doing some data mining to arm yourself with the facts and
arguments that have been successful at other institutions.

Good luck!

Geoff Williams
Leduc Bioimaging Facility Manager
Brown University