CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2008

From:
"Rietdorf, Jens" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:18:49 +0100
Dear John,

Though I cannot provide a reference, I think it should be well possible
to measure homo-FRET using FLIM; FRET will increase the probability to
de-populate the donor exited state and thus shorten its lifetime, so a
part of the GFP should show reduced lifetimes in case of homo-FRET. The
sensitivity of the approach will be reduced compared to hetero-FRET,
because you cannot spectrally restrict your observation to the
population of the donor molecules.

Just out of curiosity: How do you distinguish between the anisotropy due
to FRET from the anisotropy resulting from the proteins being
rotationally restricted by the membrane?
Jahnig, F. (1979) Structural order of lipids and proteins in membranes:
Evaluation of fluorescence anisotropy data. Proc. Nati. Acad. Sci. USA
Vol. 76, No. 12, pp. 6361-6365.

Best, jens.