CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2002

From:
Nuno Moreno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:00:14 -0000

Hi,

I've used Hg lamps over 270h ( osram HBO 100w/2).

But...You must pay attention to the intensity decrease even when its still
new.

If you turn on the lamp when its hot, instead of 200 hours it can just work
for a few tens or they can just die (switching on and off lots of times its
also a bad thing for the lamps, unfortunately we cannot live without this)

The other thing is : time to time, if you have patience, open the lamp
socket and see if there is already some small hg drops around the electrodes
or if it has a gray layer on the glass. This is usually a indicator of how
good is your lamp health...most times more then its lifetime.

Of course the explosion risk increases with bulb age, nevertheless they
usually just stop giving light!

Cheers,
  _____

Nuno Moreno, Eng.