CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2011

From:
Claudia Campos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2011 02:59:19 -0500

Dear all,

I know this is a bit out of the list scope, but I have to share it.

Our institute shifted from EtBromide to Red safe about a year ago. After
this, we had to create a specific room for Et Br because nobody could do
regular cloning with Red safe. Not so good, but feasable.

In our lab we also realized that whenever you do a restriction, just to
check minipreps, you ALWAYS have to clean up your restriction with a column,
otherwise you don't see any DNA on a Red safe gel (and it really looks like
an empty gel!).

The bad thing is that when i got in contact with the company, they just
replied that when testing the product they always purified DNA, and that we
should concentrate it. They didn't provide any further explanation on why
the gel seems completely empty if we don't clean up our restriction (an
extra step that costs money and time!).

Does any one else has the same problem?

If it goes on like this, we may seriously consider shifting back to Et
Bromide and letting go red safe...

Thanks for any feedback!

Cheers

--
Cláudia Campos
Lab manager - Cell Biophysics and Development Lab