CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2004

From:
Olaf Selchow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:05:06 +0200

Hello!

A comment concerning the laser stability issue:

We recently had increasing intensity fluctuations in all 4 lines of the
Ar/ArKr laser on our Leica SL confocal. In the range of 10 to 1 Hz. When it
became so bad that imaging was not possible any more we also heard an
increasing noise from the supply box. It turned out to be a worn out
ventilation fan of the AOTF control box. Replacing the 3-Euro-piece fixed
the problem (the cheapes repair we ever had ;-).

This shows that vibrations in the supply box can have significant influence
on laser intensity. (The fan was running! It was just worn out, causing the
usual vibration everybody knows from old PC CPU-cooling fans.)

In our particular case we had very dramatic fluctuations, intensity going
plus-minus 50% or worse. However, since laser supply boxes of confocals are
usually separated from the microscope stand and are not mounted on optical
tables I am afraid that even weak vibrations from anywhere in the building
can easily have effects on laser intensity fluctuations.

Unfortunately I couldn't make any systematic observations and measurements
on this yet. Maybe someone out there has some more experience with this kind
of "confocal-stability"-issue?

Olaf

Am 31.08.2004 13:53 Uhr schrieb "Arthur Schuessler" unter

> [...]
>>>

>>> |---------+-------------------------------->
>>> |         |           Arthur Schuessler    |
>>> |         |           RMSTADT.DE>          |
>>> |         |           Sent by: Confocal    |
>>> |         |           Microscopy List      |
>>> |         |           FFALO.EDU>           |
>>> |         |                                |
>>> |         |                                |
>>> |         |           08/16/2004 04:27 PM  |
>>> |         |           Please respond to    |
>>> |         |           Confocal Microscopy  |
>>> |         |           List                 |
>>> |         |                                |
>>> |---------+-------------------------------->

>> -------------------------------------|

>>>   |       To:       [log in to unmask]
>>>   |       cc:
>>>   |       Subject:  Re: Confocal Instability-shocking
>>> observation                                                |

>> -------------------------------------|
>>

>>> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>>> http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>>
>>> Our confocal is very stable.
>>> We have a SP1 (one of the first ones), used by all the biology
>>> department,
>>> without any "real" control (means no technician or scientist really
>>> responsible for the instrument, used by many different groups).
>>> Our group regularly did spectra with 488nm exication and PMT1 for
>>> detection
>>> 530-730nm, and also with 2-photon excication (detection 400-700nm). We
>>> often "oversample" spectra, to have better signal and a good spectral
>>> resolution (e.g. 10 nm width with 5 or 7nm steps). But we also use 5 or
>>> 7
>>> nm width with same step sizing. Depends on the samples.
>>> So, I cannot answer about the different PMTs, but the many spectra we
>>> recorded over 2 years were all OK. (Although we probably would NOT have
>>> detected a 5nm shift, since we assume this to be in the range of error
>>> (temperature changes, physiological changes - we did many in vivo
>>> measurements of cyanobacterial pigments, pH changes in slightly
>> buffered
>>>
>>> material, etc.).)
>>> So, we e.g. have the pigment-fluorescence spectra as references, no
>>> calibration lamp or so. But these spectra are originating from
>>> fluorescence
>>> of 2-4 different pigments, and show 2-3 peaks (dependent on the sample)
>>> between 450-680 nm, so well suited to compare. Since the spectra are
>>> mixed
>>> ones (and they change in different developmental stages) we also did
>>> spectral unmixing by iterative approaches, using the individual (known)
>>> spectra of the different pigments. The fits worked very well, so the
>>> spectra are OK.
>>> Our SP1 was running perfectly for 5 years "as delivered", without
>>> realignment. Now it only was readjusted after changing the lasers, and
>>> again everything is OK.
>>> We of course work at 23°C all the time. We also only used water
>>> lenses (20x and 63x).

>>> http://www.geosiphon.de/
>>> http://amf-phylogeny.com/
>>

>> Dr. Arthur Schuessler
>> Institute of Botany, FB10, TU Darmstadt
>> Schnittspahnstrasse 10
>> D-64287 Darmstadt
>> GERMANY
>>
>> Fax: ++49 1212 66151 164568
>> e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>> http://www.geosiphon.de/
>> http://amf-phylogeny.com/
>

> Dr. Arthur Schuessler
> Institute of Botany, FB10, TU Darmstadt
> Schnittspahnstrasse 10
> D-64287 Darmstadt
> GERMANY
>
> Fax: ++49 1212 66151 164568
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]
> http://www.geosiphon.de/
> http://amf-phylogeny.com/

| Dr. Olaf Selchow                                                    |
| Central Imaging Facility - Microscopy & Image Analysis              |
| Institute of Cell Biology and Immunology  - SFB 495                 |
| University of Stuttgart, Allmandring 31, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany   |
| T: +49 711 685 8209, F: +49 711 685 7484                            |
| email: [log in to unmask]                            |