CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2017

From:
Kurt Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2017 08:46:00 -0800

Unlike many of the posters here, we've always regularly updated Windows
on our machines. We have 8 systems, 7 of which run Windows 7, and one of
which runs Windows XP (that one is not on the network). The systems run
a mixture of NIS-Elements and Micro-manager (you can see them all at
nic.ucsf.edu).  Over the ten years I've been doing this, I can only
think of two or three times that we have had issues caused by a Windows
update.  During that time we've also had a machine that had to be
rebuilt due to virus infection, so I think the security trade-off is
probably worth it.

In general, we've had many more computer problems due to hardware
failures than to software failures.  We have to do all our own IT
support, so I often feel like I'm running a small IT shop, with 16
computers to manage.

Kurt

--
Kurt Thorn